Skip to main content


No matter where you are in California, you can help your employees, friends & relatives save money at tax time using one of these free options below.

Here's how it works:

Option #1 -  Go to  to file Federal & STATE returns FREE for households earning up to $62,000.Nearly 100 million Americans - that's 70% of the nation's taxpayers - qualify to use the free brand-name software and secure e-filing tax services offered by the MyFreeTaxes Partnership.

MyFreeTaxes does all the hard work and is available in English or Spanish. You don't need to be a tax expert; the website uses H&R Block software to help find tax breaks, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), that you may be due. The software asks the questions; you supply the answers. It will find the right tax forms and do the math.

For those earning OVER $60,000, you can still access H&R Block online through the website, though a fee may apply.

Option #2 - Find a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance center near you.  Filing is free for households with income up to $53,000 - Some restrictions apply.

To find a VITA site in Butte, Shasta or Tehama Counties simply dial 211 from any phone.  In other counties visit

Did you know?

Some lower income households may not be required to file income taxes, but many of these households could qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit if they did file a return.  The average EITC amount for the 2013 tax year in California was $2,373!

For more information contact the United Way of Northern California at 530-241-7521.

The IRS issues refunds to 98% of electronic filers by direct deposit within 14 days,  some may be issued in as few as 10 days.